Oct 17, 2010

‘Today I am single and don't have a girlfriend’

Anjaana Anjaani may not have stood a chance against Rajnikanth's Endhiran/Robot but that may not get in the way of Ranbir Kapoor's climb to success. The actor says that this is not the last time we have seen him with Priyanka Chopra. The duo has signed up for Anurag Basu's Silence as well.


Q: What is your worst fear in life?
A: That I will not have a film to work in. My fear is not what the verdict of my film will be but that tomorrow, I may not be able to go on the sets of a film to shoot. It is necessary for you to see bad days or else how will you know what happy times are.
Q: Do you ever look back at Saawariya, your debut film that bombed?
A: I think Saawariya is the most important film of my career. Whatever I am today or whatever I know about films is because of Saawariya and Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Even though it was a disaster, I don't have any regret because that's the film that started me in the industry.
Q: Did you ever think you would become a star within three years?
A: I really don't see stardom because I am a very detached person. I work hard on my films. But after a film is over, it is out of my system -- whether it does well or not does not matter to me. Anyway, you cannot do anything about it as your work is done and you have got your money. You have to leave it up to the audience and God.
If you start thinking about it, your success will go to your head and your failure to your heart. Luck has always been at my side. I got to work with good directors. Besides, I have seen stardom since I was a kid. I know how far stardom can go. I have just started and am not happy with what I have now. It's just 10 percent of what I want to achieve.
Q: Did your mother ask you for any tips since she was returning to the big screen after 30 years?
A: Initially, she did a lot of drama. She kept asking me how to learn dialogues and how to apply make-up because she had 'become old' now, and couldn't see without glasses. So I would give her confidence. I realised that my mother was a good actress since I have grown as an actor and can understand now. When I was a kid, I would just enjoy watching my parents on the big screen, dancing and singing. Now I realised that they were hard working and talented.
Q: People call you mama's boy. Do you agree?
A: Completely. I am not even embarrassed of that. I can't do anything without my mother's help. She cuts my nails and force feeds me if I don't eat vegetables. She even sees to it that I brush my teeth, wash my mouth and remove my make-up at night!
Q: How is your relationship with your father, Rishi Kapoor?
A: My sister is like my father and I am like my mother. My relationship with my father is not of a friend; it's like a father and son only. It's an orthodox relationship, like the relationship he shared with his father Mr Raj Kapoor. But we have started talking more now that I have become an actor because we have more to talk about -- we talk about films and directors. He takes care of my finances, so we talk my investments. We're opening up to each other now.
As a child, I would be scared of him because he is very short-tempered -- though he has never scolded or hit me. For instance, if I was not eating my vegetables, he would say in a loud voice, 'sabzi khao.' And I would eat the vegetables in tears.
Q: Will you revive RK Studios? Will you direct films?
A: Of course. I answer this question every year but honestly, nothing has happened yet. Direction is like an immature dream. But I have been so busy as an actor that I have not got time to sit and think about what to do. But it is something that I have to do. I will produce a film some day under the RK banner. But first I am trying to consolidate my position as an actor so that my family can trust me more.
Q: Your private life has always under public scrutiny. Does that affect you?
A: It used to affect me earlier, not any more. When I started working in films, I did not have anything to hide. If I had a girlfriend, I would be open about it. The media started writing about it -- sometimes positive sometimes negative. But then you learn your lesson. Today, I have realised that I am sitting in front of you because of my work, not because of my private life. Today I am single and don't have a girlfriend. So today, if the media links me with someone, I feel bad because I have never lied about these things.
A: Do you get upset when negative things are written about you?
A: No. Being linked to another actress does not matter to me. But I do get embarrassed. And it's all the more for the girls with whom I am linked. People make perceptions about that girl that she is not good. Boys get out of these things easily.
Even after I broke up with Deepika, she was linked with so many people. Whenever I went for a press conference, people would ask me about her link-ups. That would make me angry. If she was with someone, she would tell you. The media does not have to link her with someone. At the end of the day, she is a girl and has to get married. Her family is a very respectful one. They will feel ashamed if you keep linking her up like this.
Q: Tell us about your next film, Rockstar.
A: We have completed 30 percent of the film. We shot 20 days in Prague, four days in Italy and 10 days in New Delhi. We will be shooting in New Delhi for the next two months. After that, we may go to Kashmir. Then, we are scheduled to go to Jaipur, Shimla and Bangalore.
Q: Your granduncle Shammi Kapoor is also acting in this film.
A: I'm blessed to have an opportunity to work with Shammi Kapoor. Even at this age, his optimism is amazing. He undergoes dialysis thrice a week. He tells me Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays may not be mine but Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays are mine, and I want to live my life.
Q: Did you have to persuade him to take up this role?
A: Yes. Imtiaz (Ali, director) and I sat down with him for two hours and told him that if he did the role, it would make a big difference to the film.
Q: What next after Rockstar?
A: I have signed only one other film -- Anurag Basu's tentatively titled Silence. Priyanka is working in that too. There is another important character that has not been cast yet.
Source: Rediff movies