Oct 14, 2010

Salim Khan says all about his family

He talks about his sons Salman and Arbaaz, former partner Javed Akhtar also, actors Amitabh Bachchan and Katrina Kaif in a no-holds barred TV channel interview. Salim Khan, one half of former scriptwriting duo, Salim-Javed and father of the Khan brats Salman, Arbaaz and Sohail does not believe in mincing words. Much like his explosive scripts, he has given a no-holds barred interview.

Q: As a parent, are you not worried that Salman Khan is still unmarried?
A: You need two people for a marriage. There's a contradiction in Salman's character. He gets attracted to women from his industry only his co-stars become his love interests. Once a relationship is established, he starts looking for his mom in them. Now that is not possible. A woman who has just started her career can't be doing stuff like preparing meals, washing clothes, preparing kids and yet lead the hectic life of a movie star! These expectations can't be met by a woman who has just started her film career not even if she tries.
Q: Will Salman tie the knot with Katrina Kaif?
A: I can't say if Katrina is in Salman's life. Whenever a decision stretches for so long a time, I think we can say that the ideal he was looking for, is not there. If a marriage decision stretches for so long, it usually does not happen. It means that the person is not 100 per cent sure to get into it that's why the delay. Marriages are emotional accidents of life they can't be debated for so long and then entered into!
Q: On Arbaaz turning producer...
A: Arbaaz's career was going nowhere. When he'd started 20 years ago, he used to get Rs 20 lakh for a movie. It came down to 15 lakh, then 11 lakh, then around Rs 5-6 lakh. Ghar pe rehta tha, ghadi dekh ke bachcho ko school se lane jata tha. We were all worried for him. Then we decided that he should get into the movie production business. And look what he has achieved.
Q: What caused the split between you and Javed Akhtar?
A: We were in Javed's building one evening when he told me he wanted to split that he'd been thinking about it for some time now. I shook hands with him and started walking towards my car. He also started to walk with me, but I held him, turned him towards his house and said, 'I can look after myself.' I came back home and didn't tell anyone about it. The next evening, calls started coming in, asking about the split. It was only after a few days that I announced it.
Q: What was the reason behind ending such a wonderful and successful association?
A: Javed wanted to use this partnership to start writing lyrics too. I hadn't consented to the use of my name for something that I had no interest in and knew nothing about. I told him to constrict the partnership to script-writing, while he could write lyrics on his own.
When Javed had come from Bhopal, he hadn't come to be a writer. He had come to Mumbai to be a director. I discovered the talent in him. Javed was working as an assistant director in S M Sagar's production of which I was the script writer. From there we got to know each other. He started coming to my home and that's how we started growing close.
One day, Sagarsaab came home with a story that he wanted me to script. Javed was there with me at that time and requested that he work on it (the script) with me. We got Rs 10, 000 that we split into half. That was how the partnership started.
Q: On creating the Big B's Angry Young Man image...
A: The Angry Young Man image was conceptualised by me for Zanjeer. Javed wasn't even my partner when I wrote the film. It was only after I had sold it, that he became my partner. And I believe even he would confirm that it was solely my creation.
And If Amitabh doesn't remember, I'd like to remind him that his two successful associations with Manmohan Desai and Prakash Mehra were because of me. I had called Amitabh to Juhu Hotel and introduced him to Manmohan Desai, while we were there to discuss the script of Chacha Bhatija. Prakash Mehra was shooting at Rajkamal for Pyar Ki Kahani.
I had called Amitabh to the sets and introduced him to Prakash Mehra. I'm mentioning the locations so that he doesn't forget them too. (SantaBanta)
Source: (wateen.net)