Nov 3, 2010

Rihanna has learned to put herself first

Rihanna is hot and heavy with her latest man, baseball star Matt Kemp, but she knows making herself happy is her number one priority. She told Britain's Marie Claire magazine: “The most important thing is to be happy and true to yourself. “I don’t want to look back at this in 30 years from now and say, ‘I did it all to make them happy and I didn’t enjoy.’ “I want to be able to say people loved me because of who I am.
People have a lot more respect for you when you’re yourself and let them see your imperfections. That’s the big connection.”
The Barbados-born beauty was assaulted at the hands of then-boyfriend Chris Brown in February 2009 but believes her ordeal made her the person she is now.
She explained: “I couldn’t have been the woman I am today, or the friend, or the sister, or the artist, or the role model I am today if I didn’t go through what I went through in the last year and a half.”
Chris Brown received plenty of media attention after he assaulted his then-girlfriend Rihanna in February 2009, but he says he's a much better person these days.
He told Access Hollywood: “Everything is good, I’m definitely -- me personally and mentally -- I’m a great guy now. I’m more of a person who is definitely more positive.
“I have new music coming real soon; I’m in the studio, back and forth, continuously, just having fun. I’m going to continue to make great dance videos and just be me.”
In June 2009, Chris, 21, pleaded guilty to assaulting Rihanna and was ordered to complete 80 hours of community service, 12 months of domestic violence counseling and five years probation.
Judges have since praised his community service efforts, with Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Patricia Schnegg describing him as a “really, really” good trash picker.
Rihanna spoke of the assault this week, admitting the incident was the “wake-up call” she needed to realize their three-year relationship wasn’t working out.
She said: "God has a crazy way of working, and sometimes when stuff happens you feel like, 'What did I do to deserve this?' Why was it backfiring on me?'
"But I needed that wake-up call in my life. I needed a turning point, and that's what God was giving to me."
Chris is due for another probation hearing on November 18.
Source: Zimbio